Skip to main content

Spicy!

I've been wanting to make some homemade spice mixes for awhile now.  Since today was cold and damp outside, I figured it would be the perfect day for working on some inside things that I've been putting off in favor of soaking up the sunshine!  I had already tried the ranch mix once before and we LOVED every bite of it!  So I mixed up a larger batch of the ranch dressing/dip mix.  And then I found a taco seasoning mix that I wanted to try out.  I made the mix, but have yet to try it out.  It smells tempting, so I'm sure it will be GREAT!  The best part about both of these mixes is that they contain NO PRESERVATIVES!!!  So technically, they go along with our "whole foods" diet that we've been living on for the past few months.

Of course, I couldn't just store them in any old tupperware container with a masking tape sticker for a label.  Instead, I found these cute little glass containers at Hobby Lobby that are the perfect size for spice mixes.  So after I mixed up the spice mixes (which took all of 10 minutes to make BOTH mixes), I spent HOURS trying to figure out how to make photoshop work (grrrr) so I could create adorable vintage-looking labels for my sweet little spice jars.  (Ugh...one day I'll learn how to use Photoshop...)  Anyway, this is what I ended up with!






If you'd like to try your hand at making these fast and easy homemade mixes (not to mention CHEAP), check out these links for the original recipes!

Ranch Dressing Mix:   http://www.5dollardinners.com/2011/04/homemade-ranch-dressing-mix.html

Taco Seasoning Mix:  http://onceamonthmom.com/homemade-taco-seasoning/

Before I go, I have to say a little something about the little people in my life...first of all, I spent a week with one of my best friends and her family in Indy and had so much fun getting to see her little ones.  They're getting to be so grown up!!!  One afternoon, we didn't know what to do with the little stinkers so we took them to an indoor playground at Chick-fil-A...they loved it and so did we!!  :)  A big thank you to Lindsey, Jon, Scott and Natalie for letting me join their family for the week!  Can't wait til we can do it again!  :)


And secondly, I had the opportunity to see my oldest niece, Lily Ann, make her acting debut in a little play about Peter Rabbit last weekend.  It was SO funny to watch her acting on stage with her little hat sliding down over her eyes the whole time and then taking a bow about 25 times in a row when the play was over!  So hilarious!!!  Way to go, Lily Ann!!  You did a wonderful job!!!  :)



Comments

  1. So have you tried your taco seasoning yet? I actually made some of this a few months ago and felt very Molly-like making it (minus the cute jar!). It was okay, but we could definitely tell our MSG was missing. :) What did you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, we did try it this week...I can't say that it quite measured up to the "real" stuff. HOWEVER, I will also say that the meat I used to make it with was gross...think it'd been in the freezer too long. So had I used fresher meat, it might have tasted MUCH better! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scutterbotch Pie

This is totally not on "the list" for this summer, but I've been wanting to try it for awhile, so I'm including it on the blog this week. When I was a kid, my absolute FAVORITE kind of pie was scutterbotch.  Instead of birthday cakes, I would request scutterbotch pie.  My Grandma Lane used to make it for me from time to time just because I loved it.  My Mom made it for holidays and special occasions and it was oh so good!!!  :)  Life happened and I moved away and the scutterbotch pies came less often.  I can't remember the last time I had a piece of scutterbotch pie.  About a month or so ago, I wanted to make it for some reason...can't recall why.  I didn't have the time then, but decided to give it a go today.  It wasn't TOO terribly difficult, although, I resisted the urge to call my mom in the middle of my pie-making endeavor when I read "brown the butter and brown sugar over medium-high heat" and thought to myself, "BROWN the BROWN

Christmas 2013

Another Christmas has come and gone...why does it always go so fast?!?!?  I was grateful to be off this Christmas so I could enjoy the day with my family.  I kicked off the morning with my parents and a delicious pan of caramel french toast!  YUM!!!  Then, the rest of the family arrived and we enjoyed a feast of food before diving into all the presents that were under the tree.  The kids were lots of fun to watch as the opened all their gifts...here are a few snapshots of the chaos fun... Cooper being his usual ornery self Lily Ann and her Mama Lily Ann and Ruthie opening presents Cooper is really getting into this present thing! Lily got a barbie! Luke was so funny...he opened one gift and then played with it for 30 minutes before returning to open another... I think he was saying, "Oh WOW!" in response to a toy that made noises...and then he would grab his cheeks in disbelief!  :)  It was hilarious! Cooper liked patting Baby John on t

Thank You

I FINALLY made it back to the craft room tonight to stretch my brain a little and create something new and wonderful!  :)  After being laid up for a week after some medical stuff, I have a new appreciation for the health I normally enjoy...and an appreciation for friends and family who took the time to deliver yummy meals, delectable cookies, and beautiful flowers (that came complete with a big hug from my adorable niece)!  Now that the pain is subsiding and my body is healing, I'm thanking the Lord for the way He created our bodies to bounce back so quickly and completely.  And I'm also thanking all the awesome people who made time to take care of me over the last week or so with some special handmade cards! These cards were made possible by the Walk in my Garden cricut cartridge.  I just love all the little flower designs that are included on that cartridge.  There are even lady bugs, butterflies, and caterpillars!!  I can't wait to make a few more cards using some o